Isn't it purty? It's not the fanciest, but it's not a $20 el-cheapo made in who-knows-what country and has some unheard-of brand name to it. And as soon as it gets shipped, it's mine. (so D, quit fussing over the lack of pictures of the kid and beasts)
Tonight, through the power of classmates.com, I reconnected with "my Duckie" (for those of you up on your 80's teen-angst movies, you will understand). We had it kinda warped though, since there was no crushing on each other - we were just close friends who shared a lot of things, including his one big secret - he didn't like girls. (in the mid-to-late 1980's in small-town midwestern America, this was NOT accepted, unlike today.)
We were each other's dates to most of the "big" dances, and I sacrificed a number of relationships due to the fact that he was there first, and you accept him, or there's nothing with me. I was the awkward, dorky girl who wasn't popular, wasn't a cheerleader, wasn't in band, wasn't a member of the parkinglot stoner crew, wasn't an athlete, wasn't an honor student. I was a girl who slacked on her classwork, doing just enough to get by, and wasn't happy in many aspects of her life. I just didn't fit in (I am sure many can relate). Duckie and I lost touch after I went into the Army and shortly after (eloped) married a totally despicable individual who was controlling and abusive.
Well, Duckie and I chatted for a couple hours, then talked on the phone a couple hours (til mine died), then went back to chatting. I jokingly asked if he was EVER going to replace my camera (I had gotten that day) that he destroyed the night of the homecoming dance our senior year. He assured me he ALWAYS keeps his promises (and so far, save this one, he has - I will give the guy that). I had long given up on the idea that he would, so it was more a joke than anything. I mean, the guy annihilated my brand-new camera that night. He had taken pictures of a few friends (who did not have a camera and wanted pictures) outside the restaurant where we had supper, and put the camera on top of the car - and forgot it as he got in. As he pulled away, we heard something hit the trunk lid, and he realized it must be the camera. So he threw the car in reverse and gunned the gas - coming to a stop on top of my camera. I had saved up for that camera, and wasn't sure if I should cry or hit him at that moment.
"Check your email, and let me know if that is good enough, and the right color."
Confused, I went to look, finding a forwarded invoice for the lovely little camera you see above. I thought it was a joke, but after a few minutes of further discussion, I realized it wasn't. I didn't expect this, and even told him I couldn't accept it, but that argument fell on deaf ears.
Duckie made good on his promise...19 years later.
Look out, I have a feeling there will be more pictures now.


OMG! How freaking awesome is this. We have matching cameras. Now I get it (the comment you left me). Does that mean we can get some updated pictures of you? You know I was going there LOL.
ReplyDeleteHooray for Duckie! You're gonna love that camera. Can't wait to see your pix.
ReplyDeleteNice BLOG!
ReplyDeleteNice Story. . . of reconnecting with someone after so many years. Well written too.
ReplyDelete