Tonight, I ran to the store for a couple last-minute things I was going to need for our Thanksgiving dinner. As always when you wait til the last minute, the place was a zoo, and I grabbed the 4 items I needed and crowded into the lines at the registers with about half the residents of the county (it would seem).
As I was going through the checkout, the elderly woman ahead of me told the cashier that she hoped she had a wonderful Thanksgiving. BUT - rather than the cashier reciprocating, she proceeded to jump down the woman's throat. "HOW RUDE! I am athiest, I don't celebrate Thanksgiving!"
I admit, I stood there for a moment, letting this all sink in. What does religion and Thanksgiving have to do with each other? I was raised that it was a TRADITIONAL holiday, not a RELIGIOUS one. Clearly, the elderly woman was upset, and quickly gathered her purchases and left.
The cashier didn't even greet me, so I took the opportunity to greet HER. "Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday. Perhaps you should have taken the sentiment from that older woman's comment and let the rest roll off your back." All I got was a glare, and my items slammed and shoved around.
I have worked in service-type jobs for most of my life. I have learned that there is a time and place for your personal beliefs, and when you are on someone else's dime, you shut up and tolerate for the most part.
What is wrong with the younger generation today, that they are not learning social tolerance? Instead of a simple response of "you too" to this elderly woman who probably will be eating alone tomorrow, she was hateful and rude.
Part of me wishes I knew how to find that elderly woman and wish HER a happy holiday.
Even the gentleman behind me in line commented to the rude cashier, and told her he hopes she has a boring day sitting at home on "football has taken over" day. I couldn't help but grin.
McCafe Compostable Pods - Review
9 years ago


Good for you for saying something to that cashier, there was no reason for her to react that way to the elderly woman's comment. It seems like people are so quick to react in anger anymore, even when it's not warranted. It would have cost that cashier nothing to keep her mouth closed and simply say "thank you," as you said. What a shame.
ReplyDeleteOh, and Happy Thanksgiving to you, hope it's a good one! :)
ReplyDeleteThat's very sad. A simple thank you or happy holiday would have been enough for that cashier to respond with. Mel you should have found her boss. I wouldn't have hesitated in getting her into some type of trouble for being so rude.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving! I hope you got my earlier message =)
lol I know the owner of the store will be APPALLED. I am going to take my receipt with me and go see him after this crazy weekend is over. The receipt will tell him who, when and what register. That man is usually there during the day, alongside his employees, working. Sleeves up, does bagging, carryouts, you name it.
ReplyDeleteWell, she obviously has misplaced issues and unfortunately, the elderly woman in front of you got the brunt of it. A customer-service type should be better trained to say "Have A Nice Day", no matter how "rude" the customers are.
ReplyDeleteYou should have laughed at her "athiest" comment, and told her that's like saying she's an athiest on Columbus Day. And that a more appropriate response to the elderly customer would have been, "How rude! I'll have you know I'm an ungrateful person, with nothing to be thankful for!"