Tuesday, December 16, 2008

baking fail with klepto kate

Today, with 4 days of crap weather looming on my horizon, I decided to make dog cookies from scratch. I haven't done this in years, and quickly remembered WHY. What a mess!

I got the Bacon ones done, and had them cooling on our diningroom table (for lack of space in the kitchen), when Lillie decided she needed outside RIGHT NOW.

Come back in, get ready to get the first pan of peanut butter ones out, and glance in the diningroom to see that there is a big empty spot on the cooling rack that wasn't there 10 minutes earlier. Hm. The dogs were outside with me, so for once, "Naughty Chomper" can't be blamed. I hear "nom-nom-nom" from the livingroom. I investigate.

I find Katie in her playhouse with a pile of about half a dozen dog biscuits that she has stolen from the cooling rack!

Little did she know that tomorrow I was going to make cat treats....

********************


RECIPES (for those who dare):
Bacon Biscuits *no-corn recipe*
makes about 40 dog biscuits
INGREDIENTS
5 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup milk
2 Eggs
10 tablespoons bacon fat
1 pinch garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold water
*cooking spray to prepare baking sheets*
DIRECTIONS
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Spray cookie sheets.
Mix all ingredients well.
Pinch off pieces of the dough and roll them into two-inch balls.
Bake biscuits at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
Let them cool, then store in an airtight container.
****
Peanut Butter-Oat Biscuits *no corn recipe*
Makes about 36 dog biscuits
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cups water, or as needed
1/2 cup bacon fat
2 eggs
3 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
*cooking spray to prepare baking sheets*

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Spray cookie sheets.
Mix together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and oats.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gradually pour in
water, fat, eggs, peanut butter and vanilla.
Mix well.
On a flat surface use a rolling pin to roll out the dough.
Cut the dough into dog biscuit shapes using a cookie cutter.
Place the biscuits onto the prepared cookie sheet.
Bake the cookies for 20 minutes.
After the biscuits have cooked 20 minutes turn off the oven off
but let the biscuits remain inside the oven for another 20 minutes to harden.
Store in an air-tight container.

1 comment:

ss_blog_claim=84ff0b5d88a507bea3826adc7b5845b1